A
Coaching Philosophy for Swimming
By
Austin Pu
This
summer I will be working in New York, coaching and teaching kids swimming. I
chose to present this assignment because I learned a lot through this
assignment, and it will be directly applied to something that I enjoy doing. In
the assignment attached below, I will explain my passion for the sport, and
explain how I want to share this passion. I believe that it is time for me to
give back to the sport of swimming.
My
teaching philosophy:
I
started competitive swimming 14 years ago when I was only 7. Throughout the
years, the sport became more than just a sport; it became a lifestyle. The
sport of swimming transformed me both physically and mentally as I embedded
myself in the culture of the sport. The culture of the sport provided me with
an identity along with a community. Swimming and its culture have taught me
many life lessons that applies beyond the pool. To list a few, it has taught me
discipline, goal-setting, and time-management. It has also helped me develop my
identity throughout the years. The reason I am introducing this assignment
informally is because I want to truly describe my passion for this sport, my sport.
The sport has given me many positive experiences to which I feel I need to give
back to the community of swimming. I am going into my senior year of college,
which will be my last year as a swimmer. Although my career as a swimmer is
almost over, my career as a coach has just begun. In this proposal I will talk
about how exactly I will provide to others what the sport has provided me
throughout the years.
This
summer I will be teaching and coaching kids in New York City. I will be working
with mostly two general age groups: 7-12 and 13-17. As a coach I will have
goals for both my pupils, as well as goals for myself. As I mentioned before,
swimming is more than just a sport as it is a lifestyle. I believe that as a
coach, it is my job to both teach this sport and this lifestyle. As both a
coach and an athlete I understand that I am working with two different age
groups. Even within the two age groups, I will encounter kids at different
developmental stages. Erickson’s theory of development states that from infancy
to adulthood people will have different virtues, psychosocial questions,
relationships, and existential questions. I will be working with school age
children (6-11), as well as adolescent teenagers (12-19). According to
Erickson, school age children have a virtue in “competence”, and deals with
“Industry vs. Inferiority”. School age students are trying to find themselves,
and are asking “Can I make it in the world of people and things”. This means
that it is important for school age students to explore and find their talents,
as they are learning about themselves. Adolescents have to deal with “Identity
vs. Role Confusion” as they ask themselves “Who am I, and Who can I be”.
Adolescents already have done their fair share of exploring, and are ready try
on new roles. As a coach, noticing this distinction between the developmental
stages is crucial as the coaching style for the different age groups will be
different. For instance, with younger age group, I will create a more
explorative environment in which kids will find what they are good at as well
as what they need to work on. Younger kids need to work on exploring swimming
as an activity while developing good technique. It is also important to develop
the younger kids’ passion for the sport so that when they get older, they are
able to work on discipline and training. The adolescents will be coached more
rigorously as they are developmentally ready to be trained. With the adolescent
group, I will not only teach them self-discipline, but it is developmentally
appropriate to teach them the culture of swimming, as well as teaching them to
incorporate themselves in the culture. Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD) is
a theory that works in parallel to Erickson’s theory, as it suggests age
appropriate focuses for the athletes. For instance, the younger group will be
in between the “FUNdementals” as well as “Learning to Train”, while my older
group will be “Training to Train”.
As
a coach I will be very energetic and engaging. I will be stricter with the
older age group and much more lenient on the younger age group. The younger age
group needs positivity and encouragement in order to explore the sport in a
motivating way. The older kids will hopefully already have developed the
motivation, and needs to work on disciplining themselves. As a coach I want my
athletes to achieve a few things. I want to educate my athletes in
Sports-Education. I want to teach the kids as much as possible about the sport
as well as a healthy life style that will benefit them alter in life. I will
teach them about eating healthy, the mechanics of the sport, physical therapy,
history of the sport, and knowledge /skill of swimming. I then want my athletes
to set their own goals. I want my kids to be intrinsically motivated and set
appropriate goals that is appropriately challenging. Finally, I want my kids to
persevere as they reach for the goals they set. I will incorporate these goals
differently with both of my age groups as once again, these groups have
distinct needs.
As
a coach I have goals of my own too. I want to establish a strong team culture
in which the kids will work well with each other and hold each other
accountable to making practices and having good work ethic. I want to be a role
model for these kids as I will motivate the kids so that they achieve their set
goal. I want my kids to be self aware and present, as I want them to learn both
about themselves, the sport, and each other.
Overall,
I think swimming teaches individuals many life lessons about oneself that can
be applied outside of the pool. Teaching the sport as well as the techniques is
only a part of the sport. In order to succeed in the sport, one must learn all
the aspects of the culture of the sport. By teaching my kids both the physical
sport as well as the culture of the sport, I believe that I can not only make
my kids better athletes, but prepared individuals for the future.
General
Overview:
I
applied Erickson’s theory and LTAD theories to coach my different age group
kids in a developmentally appropriate manner.
I
want to teach more than just the skills of swimming, as swimming is more than a
sport; it is a culture.
Source: http://canadiansportforlife.ca/resources/ltad-resource-papers?page=1
Click here to learn about LTAD for parents:
http://www.coach.ca/files/CAC_LTADFORPARENTS_JAN2012_EN.pdf
Click here to learn more about Erikson's theory of development:
http://www.simplypsychology.org/Erik-Erikson.html
Click here to learn more about intrinsic motivation:
https://mmrg.pbworks.com/f/Ryan,+Deci+00.pdf
Take a look at Alfie Kohn's punished by rewards to learn about rewards and punishment:
Get the book here: http://www.amazon.com/Punished-Rewards-Trouble-Incentive-Praise/dp/0618001816
Take a look at USA swimming's take on coaching philosophies:
http://www.usaswimming.org/ViewMiscArticle.aspx?TabId=1781&mid=7897&ItemId=5047
Click here to learn about LTAD for parents:
http://www.coach.ca/files/CAC_LTADFORPARENTS_JAN2012_EN.pdf
Click here to learn more about Erikson's theory of development:
http://www.simplypsychology.org/Erik-Erikson.html
Click here to learn more about intrinsic motivation:
https://mmrg.pbworks.com/f/Ryan,+Deci+00.pdf
Take a look at Alfie Kohn's punished by rewards to learn about rewards and punishment:
Get the book here: http://www.amazon.com/Punished-Rewards-Trouble-Incentive-Praise/dp/0618001816
Take a look at USA swimming's take on coaching philosophies:
http://www.usaswimming.org/ViewMiscArticle.aspx?TabId=1781&mid=7897&ItemId=5047


No comments:
Post a Comment